Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Crumpled Robe

The life I haven't lived yet
sits like a crumpled robe upon a shelf.
It is waiting to be draped over my shoulders.
But that would mean discarding
every crutch I grasp--fears, judgments,
my clouded vision unable to behold.
My shallow breath would be replaced
with an expansive wind.
The local self pinned down by time
would collapse, fall crumpled to the floor,
and joyful sparks would burn my heart
to sacred transformed ash.
It would be the falling of the heart into the One,
the kiss from God accepted, the rest note heard
by the deepest ear, the ray of sunlight
saying, "Yes, I will be sent to earth just as I am."


"The Crumpled Robe" was originally published in Elliott Robertson's book Chaos and Surrender. Chaos and Surrender is available on Lulu.com at a discount and on Amazon.com.